What exactly is Cosstminn?
Cosstminn is a software program created to show you adverts when you're browsing or working online. And whilst that in itself doesn't sound too bad – after all, we're exposed to advertising pretty much constantly in our daily lives – adware isn't just a form of Internet marketing, it can actually make your user experience a real pain in the behind when you're using your computer. Not only that but it could be causing you real harm too. We'll see how shortly.
Here's an example of an "Powered by Cosstminn" ad displayed on a web page:
Things Cosstminn can do:
- It is able to change your browser, your home page and your search engine so it can redirect your web searches to sites that the adware publisher wants you to visit. Often these are simply websites that are illegal or X rated.
- It may be packaged with spyware, which is just as nasty as it sounds. Spyware monitors your Internet usage so that it can a) customize the adverts it shows you to appeal to you, and b) in a worst case scenario it will install something called a keylogger on your machine which will monitor and record everything you type. Naturally many of our online interactions are personal – from emails to friends, colleagues or loved ones to bank information, passwords and log in details.
- In addition to this, all the extra components that Cosstminn adware (and possibly spyware) have installed on your machine, mean you may well find that your computer is running a whole lot slower than usual as the malware is ticking away behind the scenes and rigorously dialing home to tell the publisher what it has found out about you.
In the majority of cases Costmin is packaged with freeware or shareware – for example, a TV show, some music or a game. This is how adware creators generate revenue that enables them to pay for the future development or distribution of their free programs. You may also be attacked by adware if you accidently visit a website that's been infected by it.
I want to protect myself against adware!
The best thing you can do to defend yourself against Cosstminn is to install decent anti-adware and anti-virus programs on your computer. You should also be selective about what you download and don’t get suckered in by dubious looking websites or programs that appear to be too good to be true!
Unfortunately Cosstminn is usually difficult to remove but if you have been targeted you need to run your anti-virus and anti-malware and they should spot and remove the adware. Run them twice or even three times to be sure however. If after rebooting your computer the adware is still appearing you will probably need to take your PC to a computer store or repair center and get it professionally cleaned by an IT expert.
If you have questions, please leave a comment down below. I will be more than happy to help you. Good luck and be safe online!
Written by Michael Kaur, http://deletemalware.blogspot.com
Cosstminn Removal Guide:
1. First of all, download anti-malware software and run a full system scan. It will detect and remove this infection from your computer. You may then follow the manual removal instructions below to remove the leftover traces of this malware. Hopefully you won't have to do that.
2. Remove Cosstminn related programs from your computer using the Add/Remove Programs control panel (Windows XP) or Uninstall a program control panel (Windows 7 and Windows 8).
Go to the Start Menu. Select Control Panel → Add/Remove Programs.
If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, select Control Panel → Uninstall a Program.
If you are using Windows 8, simply drag your mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen, select Search from the list and search for "control panel".
Or you can right-click on a bottom left hot corner (formerly known as the Start button) and select Control panel from there.
3. When the Add/Remove Programs or the Uninstall a Program screen is displayed, scroll through the list of currently installed programs and remove the following:
- and any other recently installed application
Simply select each application and click Remove. If you are using Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, click Uninstall up near the top of that window. When you're done, please close the Control Panel screen.
Remove Cosstminn related extensions from Google Chrome:
1. Click on Chrome menu button. Go to Tools → Extensions.
2. Click on the trashcan icon to remove Cosstminn, LyricsSay-1, MediaPlayerV1, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
If the removal option is grayed out then read how to remove extensions installed by enterprise policy.
Remove Cosstminn related extensions from Mozilla Firefox:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox. Go to Tools → Add-ons.
2. Select Extensions. Click Remove button to remove Cosstminn, LyricsSay-1, MediaPlayerV1, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
Remove Cosstminn related add-ons from Internet Explorer:
1. Open Internet Explorer. Go to Tools → Manage Add-ons. If you have the latest version, simply click on the Settings button.
2. Select Toolbars and Extensions. Click Remove/Disable button to remove the browser add-ons listed above.